Colgate-Palmolive acknowledged as a top-performing company for its commitment to sustainable business practices
November 22, 2021
Colgate-Palmolive has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices in recognition of its ongoing commitment to sustainable business practices and leadership. This achievement marks the Company’s fifth consecutive year of inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI).
Colgate achieved the highest score out of the 20 companies assessed in the Household Products Industry in the S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment, as of S&P’s November 12, 2021 evaluation.
Colgate’s sustainability efforts are guided by three key ambitions outlined in its 2025 Sustainability & Social Impact Strategy:
Helping Millions of Homes: Colgate empowers people to develop healthier habits by choosing sustainability-friendly products that improve their lives and homes, including:
- Colgate’s first-of-its-kind recyclable toothpaste tube;
- Colgate Keep toothbrush featuring 80% less plastic waste compared to similarly sized Colgate toothbrushes;
- Palmolive Ultra in 100% Post-Consumer Recycled Plastic bottles;
- Softsoap Foaming Hand Soap Tablets, offering an easy-to-use form that encourages reuse and refill as an alternative to buying new plastic bottles; includes a starter kit containing a refillable, recyclable aluminum bottle.
Preserving our Environment: Colgate is accelerating action on climate change and reducing our environmental footprint by working with partners and third-party organizations to decrease plastic waste, save water, conserve natural resources and eliminate waste.
- To date, Colgate has 25 certified TRUE Zero Waste facilities in 15 countries on five continents—more than any other company in the world; As of December 31, 2020, Colgate has reduced the amount of waste sent to landfills by 82%, per ton of production, since 2010;
- As of December 31, 2020, Colgate has reduced water use per ton of production by nearly 52% vs. 2002.
- And since launching in 2016, our “Save Water” public awareness campaign has led consumers to avoid an estimated 155 billion gallons, contributing to an avoidance of an estimated 8.3 million metric tons of CO2 emissions.
Driving Social Impact: Colgate is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of all people and their pets by creating meaningful impact through programs such as Colgate Bright Smiles, Bright Futures, Colgate Women’s Games, Estrellas Colgate, and Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love. In 2020, the Company released its first-ever Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Report.
“With a brand that is in more homes than any other, Colgate is uniquely positioned to help people live healthier, more sustainable lives,” said Ann Tracy, Colgate’s Chief Sustainability Officer. “We are deeply committed to innovation and sustainability progress, and another year of recognition by the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices is an honor that further establishes Colgate’s leadership as we seek to create planet-friendly products and embed sustainability practices at every level of our business.”
This recognition from the DJSI comes during a period of key sustainability initiatives and accomplishments for Colgate, including the issuance of our first Sustainability Bond pursuant to our Sustainable Financing Framework and recognition as an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year by U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR. Additional details about Colgate’s sustainability targets and accomplishments are available in its Corporate Sustainability & Social Impact Report 2020: Reimagining a Healthier Future for All.
You might also be interested in...
How a Colgate-Palmolive Flavorist Found Her PassionRead more »
Digitization Successes at Colgate-PalmoliveRead more »
Colgate-Palmolive Honored as one of Fast Company’s 2023 World’s Most Innovative CompaniesRead more »